University of the Balearic Islands (Universitat de les Illes Balears, UIB) The origins of the University date back to 1483, when King Ferdinand II of Aragon authorized the foundation of the Estudi General Lul·lià (ca) in Palma, Majorca. This college was named after the philosopher and writer Ramon Llull (c.1232–c.1315). It operated until 1835 when it was closed following intense debate. After 1835, students from the Balearic Islands attended university in Cervera, and subsequently in Barcelona. There was no higher education institution in the Balearic Islands until 1949, when the Estudi General Lul•lià was reinstituted under the auspices of the University of Barcelona. This initially offered courses in philosophy and philology, which were recognized by the University of Barcelona. The faculties of Science and Arts were added in 1972 (attached to the Autonomous University of Barcelona and to the University of Barcelona respectively), followed by the Faculty of Law. The faculties of the Estudi General Lul•lià were separated from their sponsoring universities in 1978, forming the University of Palma. Work on a new campus began in 1983, on the road from Palma to Valldemossa. This was a controversial choice; there was an alternative location near to the original Faculty of Sciences in Palma. In 1998 additional sites were opened in Ibiza and in Alaior, Minorca. University of the Balearic Islands (Universitat de les Illes Balears, UIB) In 1985 the name was changed to the current University of the Balearic Islands. The School of Tourism was added in 1993, the Faculty of Education in 1992, and the School of Psychology and the Polytechnic School in 2000. Since 1996 the University has been funded by the Government of the Balearic Islands.