QIMR Berghofer, established in 1945 as the Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR), was the brainchild of Dr Edward Derrick, an early Director of the Queensland State Health Department Laboratory of Microbiology and Pathology. In 2010, QIMR’s research broadened to include a dedicated Mental Health Program. Led by Professor Michael Breakspear, the program undertakes research that aims to reduce the burden of mental illness on society and improve the quality of life for those with a mental illness. Work on QIMR’s third building began in February 2010, located on the site of the former Queensland Radium Institute. The capital expansion was made possible by another generous gift from The Atlantic Philanthropies foundation, which gifted AUD$27.5 million towards the 13-storey building. The state and federal governments both made contributions to ensure the building’s completion. In January 2011, internationally renowned molecular biologist Professor Frank Gannon was appointed as the seventh Director and CEO of the Institute. Under Professor Gannon’s leadership the Institute consolidated its activities into three research programs: Cancer; Infectious Diseases; and Mental Health/Complex Disorders. In 2013, QIMR received a generous donation of AUD$50.1 million from Toowoomba philanthropist Clive Berghofer AM, OAM. In recognition of his long history of significant support, QIMR was renamed QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute. The Institute’s status as a leading translational facility was reinforced in 2014 with QIMR Berghofer taking on full ownership of the clinical trial facility, Q-Pharm, and again the following year with Q-Gen becoming the first Australian manufacturing facility to receive Therapeutic Goods Administration approval to manufacture cellular therapies for human use.